You might have heard the term “WPS” while configuring a wireless Xfinity router on your own in its configuration menus. Usually, the printer has a WPS button alongside all the ethernet ports on the back-side of the router. Have you ever wondered what role does WPS button plays on the Xfinity router? What does it stand for and its exact work? Check out all the important information about the Xfinity router WPS button from this article.
What is WPS (Push Button) and how to use it?
WPS or Wi-Fi Protected Setup is a wireless network security standard that helps you to establish connections between your Xfinity router and wireless devices. It basically simply the connection between your router and other devices. WPS works only for wireless connections that need an encrypted password with the WPA Personal or WPA2 Personal security protocols. Though WPS doesn’t work on wireless networks, but it uses deprecated WEP security that can be easily cracked by any hacker just by using simple tools and skills.
Where do I find WPS on my Xfinity router?
Since there is no need for wired connections to maintain a wireless router as it can be managed through WPS. There are some most popular devices that provide support for the network security standard. Almost all routers model of xfinity routers offers WPS support. Sometimes, the WPS button is enabled by default. You can manually enable the WPS button either through the firmware of your router, and its administration user interface, or using a WPS button.
Many of you might wonder about the exact Xfinity wireless router WPS button location, so the WPS button is usually found on the back of the router. All you have to do is press it once, and WPS will be enabled and come into a working state. After establishing the connection, you can then connect your wireless devices through WPS.
How do I Set up WiFi Using Push Button Configuration?
Depending on the WiFi product you are using, you can use certain devices that may require different connection steps. You have to follow the steps given below to set up a WiFi connection:
Press the WPS button on the WiFi product you are using, or
Now, press the WPS button on your gateway for about two minutes. Check out where the WPS button is located on different gateways and use it to establish a connection till you receive a success message while connecting your router to your home network.
What if WPS button on Xfinity router not working properly?
If the WPS button on your Xfinity router is not working properly, then you can set up WiFi using the Personal Identification Number (PIN). All you have to do is:
- Before applying the below-given steps, check if the WiFi on the WiFi product is turned on.
- Open the WiFi Protected Setup Utility and select the PIN method to move further.
- Choose the WiFi Network Name (SSID) with which you want to establish a connection.
- Now, generate a PIN number and wait for about two to five minutes.
- Navigate to the Admin Tool of the Wireless Gateway (http://10.0.0.1). For this purpose, you can use a device that is already connected to the Wireless Gateway.
- Enter admin and password in the Username and Password field, respectively. Then click on the Xfinity login button.
- Choose Gateway > Connection > WiFi.
- This will open the WiFi page, click on the button displaying, “ADD WIFI PROTECTED SETUP (WPS) CLIENT”.
- Select PIN Number from the Connections Options.
- For Wireless Client’s PIN, enter the PIN and wait till the WiFi Protected Setup Utility process is successfully finished.
- Click on the Pair button.
Once you are done with the above steps, the WiFi product will detect the Wireless Gateway and establish a WiFi connection.
Frequently Asked Question
How to disable the WPS button on Xfinity wifi router?
Visit www.xfinity.com/myxFi or open the Xfinity app in your device. Sign in with your Xfinity ID and password and go to the Connect section. Here, click on your WiFi name(s) from the top of the page. If you would like to disable your WiFi network from broadcasting, choose See Network near your WiFi name and follow all the on-screen instructions.
Where is the WPS PIN on my Xfinity router?
Usually, you can access the WPS pin from the homepage of your router. For this, you need to open the official site of your router. Alternatively, you can also find the Linksys router’s PIN from the bottom of your router along with the Serial No. and MAC Address information.
Is the WPS button same as reset?
Yes, the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) and reset buttons are the same and performs the same functions.