Netgear router setup- install and set up your router
There is nothing more satisfying than enjoying high-speed internet connectivity at your home and workplace. And when it comes to choosing a router that gives you the desired output, the Netgear router is many users’ first choice. Once you bring home your favorite router, the first thing you will struggle with is the Netgear router setup and installation.
Thus, to make it simpler for the users, below we have discussed the most appropriate method to get you working for the very first time.
The setup process goes like this
- Take the Ethernet cable and plug it in your modem’s yellow Internet port
- Now, you need to connect your PC to one of the ports on your Netgear router
- Then, press the ‘Power’ button on your router until you see the LED light blinking
- From a browser, go to www.routerlogin.net and log in to your router
- Enter ‘admin’ as the username and ‘password’ as the password
- Select the ‘ADVANCED’ option and select ‘Setup Wizard’
- Select ‘Yes’ followed by the ‘Next’ button
- Once the router detects your connection, you’ll be prompted to log in
- Here, you can choose a new Netgear router setup password
- Choose answers for the given security questions and click ‘Next’
After that, you just need to respond to a few on-screen prompts and your Netgear router installation process comes to an end. The same process can be used for configuration Netgear router and changing the default username and password of the router.
Netgear wireless router setup without modem
- Start the process by making the basic connections such as plugging in the power cord to the modem.
- Also, provide the power to your computer and ensure that all the devices are getting power and turned on.
- Now, click on the ‘Start’ button of your computer and open the command prompt.
- Once the command prompt opens, type ipconfig in it and press ‘Enter’.
- This will display the IP address of your router on the screen.
- Using the Ethernet cable, you have to connect the router and your PC.
- Now, type the IP address that is displayed on your screen in a browser’s search bar.
- Further, change the interface of the router to its IP through the process of Subnetting.
- For this, you just need to change the last digit of your IP address e.g. if the last digit is 1 you can replace it with 2.
- As soon as you are done with setting up your router’s IP address, you can reboot your PC and assign a new IP address to it.
How to setup VPN on Netgear router?
- From a browser, visit the www.netgear.com/home/services/routerlogincom/ page and log in to your router.
- On the BASIC Home screen, select
- The BASIC Home screen displays ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > VPN Service.
- On the page that appears, select the ‘Enable VPN Service’ box and then click Apply.
- Now, you need to mention the VPN service settings on the given page.
- Now, select ‘For Windows’ for downloading the configuration files.
- Then, go to http://openvpn.net/index.php/download/community-downloads.html
- From here, you can easily download the ‘OpenVPN client utility’.
- In the Installer section, double-click the ‘OpenVPN-install-xxx.exe’ link to open it.
- Again click on that file name and select ‘Next’.
- Following this, you need to read the ‘License Agreement’, select ‘I Agree’, and click ‘Next’.
- Choose the destination folder for the file and click ‘Install’.
- As soon as the final installation takes place, click ‘Finish’.
- Now, you need to unzip the configuration files and copy them to a folder where you have installed the VPN client.
- Now, you are all set to use the VPN services on your device.
This takes us to the end of a successful and helpful Netgear router setup (https://kb.netgear.com/119/How-do-I-set-up-and-install-my-NETGEAR-router) explanation. Find below some Netgear router models on which you can easily apply these steps.
Netgear router models covered
- Netgear ac750 router setup- you can simply apply the instructions given in the previous methods to install your AC750 router and it would hardly take 15 minutes for the process to complete.
- Netgear ac1200 router setup- the same steps are also applicable for setting up this router model. Make sure you log in with the default credentials for the setup process.
- Netgear n600 router setup- if you do not know what the default IP address of your N600 router is, then you can connect it and use the command prompt to know the same.
- Netgear n300 router setup- these routers are easy to set up only if you follow the instruction given in the manual very carefully and do as described.
- Netgear ac1750 router setup- the AC1750 router setup is no different from other routers and would require you to follow the same instructions as you do for any other router.
How do I access Netgear router settings?
To access the configuration or settings page of your router, you need to go to www.routerlogin.net and log in using the default username and password of your router. When you log in to your router, you will see the BASIC page where you can change the router settings accordingly.
What is the IP address for Netgear router?
The default IP address of your Netgear router is usually 192.168. 1.1 or 192.168. 0.1. But, still, if you are unsure if it is correct or not, then you must use the Command prompt of your connected device and type ‘ipconfig’ in it to know the IP address and other details.
Why is my Netgear router not connecting to the Internet?
If you are using a wired connection, then there is a possibility that your Ethernet cable is loosely connected. On the other hand, if you are using a wireless connection, then the signal could be either weak or there is a poor connection at the end of your Internet Service Provider. Try enabling and disabling the internet to restore connectivity.
What does the orange light on Netgear router mean?
The orange light on your Netgear router simply means that it is not receiving the proper power supply. Now that you know why this is happening, go check the power source and see if it is giving your router and PC a proper power supply.
How do I configure my Netgear router as an access point?
- Log in to your router from a web browser.
- Use the default username and password for login.
- On the BASIC page, select ‘ADVANCED’.
- On the ‘ADVANCED’ settings, click ‘Advanced Setup’.
- Then, select ‘Wireless Settings’.
- Scroll down to find ‘AP Mode’ and select ‘Enable AP Mode’.
For the benefit and security of the users, one thing is very important, and that is changing the default username as well as the password of the router once you set it up successfully. This will restrict any unauthorized access to your router and help you stay safe in this unpredictable life.