Also known as “port mapping”, “port forwarding” is a technique that helps you to connect some external devices to your network that you are privately using. If this seems a little tricky to you, this article will teach you to port forward without router access. Though port forwarding is easy when you do have a router, in its absence, you will face some trouble while doing this. Without going into the complexities of what all this means, we’ll simply jump into our main topic of discussion.
The following sections will guide you on how forward ports in different operating systems.
Port forwarding without router access Windows 10 and Mac
Port forward without router access on Windows 10
- Open your device and go to its search bar.
- In it, you have to type “Network and Internet”.
- Click on the most relevant search result.
- Click on the “Network and Sharing Center” option.
- Select “Manage Network Connections”.
- Locate “Local Area Connection” and right-click on it.
- Choose “Properties” and click on “Sharing”.
- Click on the checkboxes labeled as “Allow other network users to connect” and “Allow other network users to control”.
- In the “Settings” section, add your name, IP Address, the port you wish to open.
- Do the necessary changes and exit the window.
Port forward without router access on Mac
- Initially, enable the remote login service on your system.
- To enable it, go to the “System Preferences”/
- Go to the “Sharing” tab and choose “Remote login”.
- This will start the SSH server on your device.
- Run this command- SSH -L 200.234.XXX.XXX:10000:10.211.55.5:80 -N 127.0.0.1.
- Accept the server fingerprint and then enter the local password for SSH login.
- This will enable the port forward on your Mac device.
Port forwarding without router access Linux
- Open the portmap.io site from your browser.
- Go to the “Sign In” option and tap on it.
- Fill in your details and create a password.
- Complete the captcha and agree to the terms.
- After your account is registered, verify your email address.
- Go to the “Configuration” section, enter your name, and choose the type and protocol.
- The configuration will now be generated.
- Now, use the OVPN file to make an OpenVPN tunnel.
- Copy this command on your clipboard- OpenVPN –config kalilinuxin.test.ovpn.
- Now, you have to create the mapping rule and select which port you want to forward.
- Choose the domain as “portmap.io”.
- For protocol, choose “http” and choose 80 for the PC port.
- The will now be created when you click on “Create”.
Port forwarding without Router admin access
Even if you do have router access but you do not have admin access to your router, then
- From the Control Panel, find and select “View Network Connections”.
- This would show up your router on which you have to right-click.
- Select “Properties” and go to the “Settings”.
- Select the “Services” tab and click “Add”.
- In the description box, enter your name and IP address of the computer which is hosting the port forwarding service.
- Provide details of the external and internal port numbers.
- Make sure that the UDP or TCP protocols are checked.
- Click “Ok” and let the setup finish.
You do not need to complete the router login process to complete this setup.
You can also complete the port forwarding process using the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) service. However, for port forward without router access using the UPnP, you need to make sure that your router is compatible with this. This write-up has clearly explained to you the port forwarding procedure in the easiest possible way.